A family wine merchant since 1822.
Ellis was founded in 1822 by Joseph Ellis (born 1783). At the same time, the Ellis family was running the Star & Garter Inn on Richmond Hill. In 1864, the Hotel was sold by George Ellis (Joseph’s son, born 1834) in order to focus on the wine business. Initially the business ran out of offices at 36-37 Leadenhall Street in London where all deliveries were done by horse drawn carts.
In 1926, the firm decided to relocate to Richmond where they could expand their offices, cellars and fleet of vans. On the wall of the Richmond building (now All Bar One) a vine was planted in 1840 and is still growing to this day!
During the blitz, much of the offices were destroyed by an incendiary bomb so the company temporarily moved into the Castle Hotel next door (where they stayed for over 30 years!).
In 1978, Colin Ellis and his cousin Shaun Cunningham decided to launch a new business in St Margaret’s focusing on the On-Trade sector around south west London. Since then, the company has grown and moved to premises in Teddington before then settling at our warehouse and cellars just off the M3 to the north of Sunbury.
Today, the Ellis family continue to manage the business and with a fantastic team of staff have built a thriving wine imported/agency business in the true spirit of its founding fathers when they started the family wine merchant nearly two centuries ago.